Volume 15 Supplement 1
Pediatric bone and soft-tissue sarcomas
© McCarville 2015
Published: 2 October 2015
In this session I will review the clinical and imaging features of the most common pediatric bone and soft tissue sarcomas and several benign lesions that may mimic them. These malignancies often have unique features that can help narrow the differential diagnosis. The material will be presented in an informal manner and audience participation is encouraged. A review of the appropriate diagnostic work-up will also be presented, including the role of various imaging modalities to detect local-regional and distant metastatic disease. At the end of this session participants should be able to identify clinical features (age, race, etc.) and imaging features that are suggestive of the correct diagnosis.
- Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology. Edited by: Pizzo and Poplack. 6Google Scholar
- Meyer J, Nadel H, Marina N, et al: Response to “Imaging guidelines for children with Ewing sarcoma and osteosarcoma: A report from the Children's Oncology Group Bone Tumor Committee”. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2008, 51: 163-170. 10.1002/pbc.21596.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mar WA, Taljanovic M, Bagatell R, et al: Update on imaging and treatment of Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: What the radiologist needs to know. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2008, 32: 108-118. 10.1097/RCT.0b013e31805c030f.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Galindo C, Shah N, McCarville MB, et al: Outcome after local recurrence of osteosarcoma. Cancer. 2004, 100 (9): 1928-35. 10.1002/cncr.20214.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Freling NJ, Merks J, Saeed P, et al: Imaging findings in craniofacial childhood rhabdomyosarcoma. Pediatr Radiol. 2010, 40: 1723-38. 10.1007/s00247-010-1787-3.PubMedPubMed CentralView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Yarmish G, Klein M, Landa J, et al: Imaging characteristics of primary osteosarcoma: Nonconventional Subtypes. RadioGraphics. 2010, 30: 1653-1672. 10.1148/rg.306105524.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.